Friday, April 27, 2012

If You Can't Pronounce It, Dont Eat It!

Last fall when the weather was cool, I whipped up a batch of latkes. For those of you that aren't familiar with latkes, in short, they're potato pancakes: Grated potatoes, a little minced onion, some egg made into patties and fried (yes, fried) in hot oil. They're delicious and served with either sour cream and/or applesauce. Since I was frying I decided to go the applesauce route for less calories. I purchased a jar of Albertson's brand chunky applesauce and paired it with the latkes. It was quite good considering the zillion calories I had just consumed.

Have you ever lost anything in your refrigerator? Well, it's now April and that jar of applesauce from last November was lost deep in the back of the refrigerator. I was expecting a science experiment when I discovered it. No science experiment. No fuzzies. No strange colored culture growing on what was left of the applesauce in that jar. I thought this was strange that this jar had been in the there for almost 6 months and there was nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong until I read the label: "Apples, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water ascorbic acid (vitamin C)." No wonder that jar of applesauce remained embalmed all these months. It was the all the corn syrups, high-fructose and otherwise.

Number one: Shame on me for buying this stuff. Number two: Shame on the grocer for putting this stuff on their shelves. Yes, they'll argue that it's wholesome but in light of all the bad press and negative side effects of high-fructose corn syrup, why would they choose to sell this stuff. Number three. Shame on me again for not reading the ingredient label. The grocery is in business to make money. It's my business to watch what I put in my mouth. Also, a good rule to follow: If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment