Friday, December 7, 2012

What's in Your Shopping Cart?

Show me the content of a man's shopping cart, and I'll tell you about that man. I just made that up. Actually, I think a better picture of a person's tastes and habits would be a glimpse into their refrigerator. But the stuff didn't suddenly appear. There was some kind of motivation to take it off a shelf, pay for it, and bring it home. Was it hunger? Was that motivation health-related? Or was the grab an impulse buy?

I don't go shopping without a list partially because I get to the store and forget what I needed and because that list steadies my hand in the face of temptation. You won't find prepared foodstuffs in my kitchen: No Rice-a-Roni (what the hell is that stuff?), no prepared entrees, and save me from jarred pasta sauce (they all taste the same). My last partner brought home this package of mystery meat "marinated" in, I swear, something reminiscent of formaldehyde.

I'm fortunate on the culinary front to have the skills to make things from scratch. The biggest impediment isn't preparation skills, it's the time needed to make healthy food. In one of my trade journals an article detailed the high costs of eating junk food. Not only were prepared, processed foods made of poor quality ingredients they are packed with fat, sugars, sodium and chemicals you can't even pronounce. The article featured a favorite chef, Mark Bittman, roasting a chicken and preparing veggies in about an hour. But, you still have to buy the bird, take it home, cook it, and that takes time. The article doesn't even mention the amount of skill (relatively low) needed to make this meal. Even after you've learned to cook a bird, again, it still takes time. Therein lies the lure of prepared, processed food.

Just for fun, here's my marinara sauce that's easy to prepare. The onions, cooked until golden, will sweeten this sauce. I make a good-sized batch so I can portion and have it in the freezer. Of course, it's not only great for pasta but it's also a great base for chili, as well.

Not-So-Basic Marinara Sauce

Yellow onion, peeled, chopped coarsely, 1 medium
Olive oil, extra virgin, 1/4 cup
Whole thyme or rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaves, 2 whole
Fresh black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon or to taste

In a large pan over medium heat, cook the chopped onion in the olive oil with the thyme, bay leaves, and fresh black pepper until the edges of the onion start to turn gold-brown.

Fresh garlic, peeled, coarsely chopped, 4 whole cloves
Salt (sea salt, if you have it), 1 teaspoon

This is the time to add the garlic and salt. Any sooner and you'll risk burning. Cook it until you can smell the fragrance coming up from the pan. Then add...

Canned, crushed tomatoes with liquids, 4 - 14oz cans
Water or chicken stock, 1 cup
(Optional) Red wine, 3/4 cup

Let the sauce come to a boil while stirring the reduce then heat to medium low and simmer for about an hour. That's it! Time will take care of the rest. Give it an occasional stir and adjust the salt and pepper as desired. Let it cool, portion as needed, and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment